Maybelline Color Tattoo Pure Pigments Loose Powder in Never Fade Jade review





I like using loose shadow powders, because I feel like they generally have good pigmentation and apply easily, unlike some pressed that might be stiff and dry. There are not very many actual loose color pigments to be found at the drugstore (unlike sparkles) so I was pretty excited when Maybelline recently released the Color Tattoo Pure Pigments Loose Powder. The name Pure Pigments sounds so promising! 



I decided to go for Never Fade Jade, which looks in its little pot like a deep jade, a medium green with a hint of turquoise. So was it worth the purchase? 





I was kind of shocked when I started playing with the product because of how weak it swatches. The color looks much more sheer and muted than expected when I swatched it on my arm. 



The good news is that it actually performs a little better on the lid, if you make sure to use a good base and to pat with your brush, rather than using swiping motion. The result is still far from being as intense as it looks in the pot, but it's a nice pop of color. There's some shimmer visible in the pot, but it also gets lost once applied. The finish on the lid looks more like a satin, almost matte shadow.



I didn't have particularly bad fallout with this product during application. The wear time is disappointing on me with major fading by the middle of the day, even on top of a primer (Too Faced Shadow Insurance or Urban Decay Primer Potion).

Overall: if Never Fade Jade is on par with the rest of the line, I would definitely not say that the Pure Pigments are a drugstore must-have. You might want to check them out when they're on sale (regular price is $6.99), especially if one of the shades is calling your name, but don't expect them to blow your mind. The lack of intensity and the poor wear are really a let down, especially when Maybelline describes the product as having "double color intensity for your most explosive eyes" and "superior staying power [that] wears for up to 24 hours". If you're used to loose shadows or pigments from MAC, bareMinerals or indie mineral brands and expect the same kind of performance, I'd suggest you stay away from Maybelline Color Tattoo Pure Pigments...


Where to find: at your local drugstore, online on drugstore.com 


The product featured in this review was purchased by Lulle. I recieved no compensation to write this post, which only reflects my personal opinion.



No comments

Unfortunately the comment system does not work on mobile phones at this time :( If you see this message and leave a comment, I will be unable to approve it, I'm really sorry about this issue!